Thousands Hit the Road for Labor Day Weekend
Labor Day Weekend usually signals the last official weekend of summer. Many people will be taking to the roadways to enjoy soaking up sun and water fun. With increased numbers of people on the roadway, road construction and the increase in alcohol consumption, highway travel can be a dangerous place for motor vehicle crashes. Last year, there were 15 road fatalities over the holiday weekend which was higher than in 2015 with 10 fatalities.
Do Not Drive if You’ve Been Drinking
The mere thought of getting a DUI is scary enough but a DUI pales in comparison to the injury and death that impaired driving can cause.
Reminder—Road Construction Continues Well Into Winter
Highways and interstates are going to be extremely busy as everyone is making last-minute summer get-a-ways and Labor Day weekend plans. Road construction and repair will not be slowing down until the temperatures reach freezing well into the winter months.
Road Construction Safe Driving Tips
Road and lane closures across the state will continue through the late summer travel, thus plan ahead. You can visit MoDOT and determine where road closures are in preparation for your travel. As well, there are several safety tips to keep in mind before you travel:
- Expect the Unexpected in road construction zones. Speed zones pop up unexpectedly.
- Slow down, be alert and pay attention to the signs. Be on the lookout for diamond-shaped warning signs and all signage
- Comply with the directions.
- Be patient in road construction zones.
- Pass safely. Drive in the right-hand lane unless you are passing
- Slow down
- Drive defensively- don’t follow too close. Rear-end collisions are the most common in construction areas, but crashing into construction vehicles and workers can be deadly.
- Obey the posted signs until you see the signs that say you’ve left the work zone. Remember some work zones are mobile such as road-painting and mowing.
If You Are Involved in a Motor Vehicle Incident….
If you are involved in a motor vehicle incident, call the police immediately. Calling the emergency authorities is a safety issue for you and all of the other drivers. Plus, you need the authorities to do an incident report.
Visit our app “Injury Attorney” -Free for Iphone and Droid
Our Injury Attorney app will give you step-by-step instructions that people often forget. After a crash, you are frazzled and emotional—using the app ensures that you get all of the information that you need to make the claim process easier later.
Call Experienced Motor Vehicle Crash Attorneys
We are available seven days a week, toll free 1.800.685.3302 or locally 314.276.1681.