500 N. Broadway, Ste 1605, St. Louis, MO 63102 (314) 276-1681 Prices Vary Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Louis - 4.9 stars - based on 49 reviews
Cagle Law Firm
Attorney Zane Cagle

Posted on September 11th, 2015,
by Zane Cagle

Compensation After a Hit-and-Run Crash in Missouri

Posted on September 11th, 2015 by Zane Cagle

file7631302368410Hit-and-Run Crashes in Missouri

In Missouri, victims of car crashes can hold the at-fault driver financially liable for their losses.  If another driver hits you and leaves the scene, then the process can become more complicated.  It is difficult to hold someone financially responsible for your losses if the authorities are struggling to track the other driver down.  If you are hit by another driver, it is important that you contact the police immediately-always.

Drivers who leave the scene of an accident are in violation of Missouri Statute 577.060.1 “A person commits a crime of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident when being the operator of a vehicle….knowing that an injury has been caused to a person or damage has been caused to property, due to his culpability or to an accident, he leaves the place of the injury, damage or accident without stopping”.  All drivers must remain at the scene and exchange information with those involved in the crash.

Drivers flee the scene for a number of reasons including drunk driving, failure to have insurance and fear of fault, however, leaving the scene of a crash generally results in worse consequences.

Finding the Hit-and-Run Driver

Missouri officials often use eyewitness accounts, broken car parts and security camera footage to find hit-and-run drivers. When the hit-and-run driver is found, the injured party is able to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver in order to get the much needed compensation they deserve.  As well, the hit-and-run driver may face criminal charges for leaving the scene of the crash.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Under Missouri law, drivers must carry Uninsured Motorist coverage of $25,000 for bodily injury per person and $50,000 for bodily injury per accident. This coverage helps protect you if you are involved in a crash with an uninsured driver. However, it also applies to hit-and-run crashes.  So, compensation may be available to you through your own insurance company in a hit-and-run crash.

You would be wrong to assume that your insurance company will automatically give you fair compensation even if they are your insurance company. If you are injured, you will need an expert auto accident attorney to ensure you have the claim processed correctly and you are able to obtain the compensation you need.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage is a Good Idea (see our article on the importance of Underinsured Motorist Coverage)

If you are injured in any kind of motor vehicle accident, you should take advantage of free consultations offered by personal injury attorneys. It is an opportunity to get free legal information.  Gaining information so that you can make the most informed decision possible is important.

At The Cagle Law Firm, we offer free consultations. Call our attorneys toll free at 1.800.685.3302 or locally, 314.276.1681.