Posted on February 4th, 2009 by Zane Cagle
One year after her death, the family of a wheel chair confined woman has filed a wrongful death and product liability suit against several companies associated with a motorized wheelchair that was allegedly defective and caught fire while the victim was in her home. The suit was filed Monday against a wheelchair manufacturer of Ohio and other companies responsible for the manufacture, lease, or retail of the chairs.
The plaintiffs claim that the wheelchair malfunctioned and caught on fire, burning the female victim who was unable to move as she had multiple sclerosis. At the time of the incident, she was in a motorized hospital bed, which was also built by the wheelchair manufacturer and conscious when the fire started. The suit states that an autopsy demonstrated that the victim, “suffered significant pre-death burns, physical injury, and psychological terror.”
For this manufacturer, this suit is not the first to claim injury or death due to a defective wheelchair. In 2002, the company settled a $7 million suit when a quadriplegic incurred burns when her wheelchair sparked and caught fire due to defective wiring. Furthermore, the manufacturer was sued three other times for fatal fires linked to the chair’s battery-charging system.
If you or a loved one has suffered injury or death due to a defective product, the Page Cagle Defective Products legal team is here to help. Our experience has lead to several successful litigations in Missouri and Illinois in which consumers suffered injuries directly caused by an error in product design. Call Zane T. Cagle today at 1(314) 276-1681 for a free consultation to see if you are entitled to compensation.