How to Handle a Hit and Run

By | July 5, 2021 | Car Accidents

Motor vehicle collisions happen daily. We all understand the basic rule of stopping at the scene if we have been involved in a crash. Thus, if a driver leaves the scene and fails to at least stop, it violates all of our rules of driving and basic manners.

However, it is far too common that some drivers do leave the scene of an accident before they give their information. Even if you aren’t seriously injured or have significant damage to your vehicle, this can be extremely frustrating. In accidents that cause significant injuries and damage, dealing with a hit-and-run driver can be even worse.

If this has recently happened to you, you’re likely wondering how you handle this situation. Where do you even begin? The driver is gone, and you are left with the damage.

Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal in every state, but hit-and-run accidents are more common than they should be, with hundreds of thousands occurring each year. Having the other driver flee causes added challenges for those injured in hit-and-run accidents, so many can benefit from having the help of a legal team on their side.

You deserve to be compensated for the damages the accident caused, but if the other driver flees or does not have auto insurance, your options are a little different. Clearly, if the other driver flees or lacks insurance, getting the compensation that you need can complicate this.

If you’ve been injured in a hit and run and need compensation, call The Cagle Law Firm today. We will help you secure the compensation that’s rightfully yours. You can reach us toll-free at (1-800) 685-3302 or locally at (314) 276-1681.

What to Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident

Getting into an accident is overwhelming, but you need to do your best to follow the proper steps after an accident. Receiving compensation might be difficult, but knowing what to do, who to contact, and what information you need can help put you in a position for compensation if possible.

Here’s what you need to do after a hit-and-run accident.

Contact the Police

Like any motor vehicle accident, the first thing you need to do following a hit and run or any other car collision is to call the police. Even though the other driver isn’t there, an officer will still file a police report, which you will need to file an uninsured motorist claim with your own auto insurance company. You’ll also want to involve the police so they can investigate and attempt to find the other driver. Sometimes the police can find the driver based upon damage and any witness statements.

Get Medical Treatment

You should never forgo medical treatment following an accident because the other driver fled. As soon as you develop any symptoms of injury, including pain and stiffness, you should seek medical treatment right away. You don’t want to risk an injury getting worse by not getting treatment. Getting medical treatment is also important in documenting your injury for consideration of compensation under your uninsured motorist coverage.

Record as Much Information as Possible

If a driver leaves immediately after they hit you, you might not have gotten a good look at their vehicle. However, even if you only saw them briefly, it is helpful if you remember as many details as possible. The more information you’re able to provide about the vehicle and driver, the better the chances that they’ll be found. Ideally, you would have the driver’s license plate number, but you might not have had time to get it. You might have noticed what brand the car was or the color of the vehicle, so you can provide even just a small description. Paying attention to where the driver was heading after they left the scene can also be helpful. Other helpful information includes photos you can get of the scene or the other vehicle and any witnesses’ contact information.

Hire a Lawyer

Hit-and-run accidents can come with more challenges than accidents where the other driver is present and insured. Most often, a hit-and-run accident may require those injured to work with a lawyer to get the help they need. Dealing with insurance companies to get the amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries is often difficult, and a hit-and-run accident can make this even harder. Even if the other driver is found, having a personal injury lawyer who knows how to handle motor vehicle accidents will still benefit you.

Learn More About Getting Help for a Hit and Run

The other driver fleeing the scene of the accident can make the crash feel much worse and make it more confusing. Being the victim of a hit and run feels like the other driver added insult to injury. If you have auto insurance, which is required by law, we can usually assist in getting that coverage for which you have already paid. By working with a St. Louis car accident lawyer, you have a professional who’s experienced with situations like this dedicated to helping you get the right amount of compensation. At The Cagle Law Firm, we can provide the help you need after a hit and run.

Contact us toll-free at (1-800) 685-3302 or locally at (314) 276-1681 to learn more about how we can help.

About The Author

Zane T. Cagle

Zane T. Cagle is the founding president and lead trial attorney at The Cagle Law Firm. With a strong dedication to his clients, he has built a reputation for his tenacious representation in personal injury cases, ensuring each client's unique story is heard. Areas of Practice: Personal injury, motor vehicle accidents, wrongful death. Bar Admissions: Supreme Court of Missouri, Illinois & Kentucky. Superior Court of U.S. Virgin Islands Education: Washington University School of Law. Awards: Super Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyers Association, 10 Best in Missouri for Customer Satisfaction.

Contact Us Today

The Cagle Law Firm serves accident and injury clients throughout St. Louis and the greater St. Louis metropolitan area, including the eastern Missouri and southern Illinois communities. If you or a loved one needs legal assistance with your personal injury case, call The Cagle Law Firm at (314) 276-1681 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.

Recent Posts




Schedule your FREE CONSULTATION today by contacting us at (314) 276-1681 or by sending us an email through the online contact form.

Contact Us Today

Request Your Free Consultation

Fields marked with an * are required

I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 The Cagle Law Firm. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer | Site Map | Privacy Policy

Digital Marketing By rize-logo