Missouri Motorcycle Accident FAQ

Home /  Missouri Personal Injury FAQ /  Missouri Motorcycle Accident FAQ

Do I need an attorney after a motorcycle accident?

Missouri and Illinois laws do not require that you hire a motorcycle accident attorney. But a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney is accustomed to negotiating with insurance companies and insurance adjustors. A motorcycle accident attorney may be a better advocate for your legal rights than you can be for yourself, particularly if you have suffered serious injuries. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney understands what types of bills and medical expenses an insurance company customarily pays for and can negotiate aggressively on your behalf to obtain full compensation. At a minimum, a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney will review your accident free of charge and explain your legal options. Then you can make informed decisions as you recover from motorcycle accident injuries.

The driver of the other vehicle said he simply didn’t see my motorcycle. The car driver pulled out and I couldn’t avoid hitting him. The St. Louis police said the car driver was at fault in my motorcycle accident and my injuries. What am I allowed to seek compensation for?

It’s common for other drivers to fail to see a motorcycle because it’s smaller and narrower than other vehicles. If you have been injured in a motorcycle crash caused by another driver, you have a legal right to claim compensation for:

  • Hospital costs;
  • Emergency care;
  • Medical equipment;
  • Medication;
  • Physical therapy;
  • Lost wages;
  • Future lost wages;
  • Personal trauma and suffering.

I was injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a car driver who had minimal insurance. The at-fault driver’s insurance didn’t cover the full cost of my injuries. What should I do?

It isn’t uncommon for a rider to be injured in a motorcycle accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. Missouri and Illinois require that all vehicle insurance policies include coverage for uninsured drivers. Moreover, if the other driver had only minimal insurance coverage, you might have an underinsured motorist claim. Under either circumstance, your own insurance policy should pay your bodily injury costs not covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance to the limits of your policy. Your insurance company may dispute your claim or try to settle for a lesser amount than you need. It’s helpful to talk to an experienced motorcycle accident attorney to have a clear understanding of your legal options. There is no charge for the initial consultation.

I was injured in a motorcycle accident caused by another motorcycle rider who had been drinking. The other motorcycle rider was charged with drunk driving after the motorcycle accident. But that doesn’t help pay my medical bills. Can you help?

A drunk driver, including an intoxicated motorcyclist, is a hazard to other motorists on the road. If you have been injured by a drunk motorcycle driver, you have a legal right to seek compensation for your losses. You can file a civil lawsuit seeking monetary compensation from the at-fault motorcycle rider and their insurance company for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, cost of medications, and personal trauma. A knowledgeable motorcycle accident lawyer can advise you.

I was seriously injured while riding a motorcycle on a Missouri or Illinois interstate. The highway patrol said I was partially at fault and the car driver was also at fault in the accident. I was far more seriously injured. Is it possible the other driver’s insurance will help cover my medical bills?

Yes, in some cases, it is possible to obtain compensation from the other driver’s insurance company even if you are partially at fault in a motorcycle accident. Missouri uses a pure comparative negligence standard to determine compensation for injuries from motorcycle accidents. It’s important to determine the degree of responsibility of each driver for the accident. Under Missouri law you are entitled to recover compensation for the degree of fault of the other driver. For example, under Missouri law, if it is proven that you are 70 percent at fault for the accident and sustained damages of $100,000, you would receive $30,000. Unlike Missouri, in the state of Illinois you are required to prove that the other driver is more than 51 percent at-fault or your case will be barred. A St. Louis motorcycle accident attorney can examine the specifics of your accident and explain your legal options for recovery if you are partially at fault.

Contact Us Today

The Cagle Law Firm serves accident and injury clients throughout St. Louis and the greater St. Louis metropolitan area, including the eastern Missouri and southern Illinois communities. If you or a loved one needs legal assistance with your personal injury case, call The Cagle Law Firm at (314) 276-1681 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.


Case Results


Schedule your FREE CONSULTATION today by contacting us at (314) 276-1681 or by sending us an email through the online contact form.

Contact Us Today

Request Your Free Consultation

Fields marked with an * are required

I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 The Cagle Law Firm. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer | Site Map | Privacy Policy

Digital Marketing By rize-logo