Posted on March 18th, 2009 by Zane Cagle
When her husband worked at an asbestos and rubber company in Illinois in 1962, a mother had no idea that the toxic asbestos fibers on her husband’s clothes were harming her. Even though her husband only worked at the company for one year, when she died in 2006 from mesothelioma, her doctors attributed her disease to second-hand asbestos exposure, most likely a result from doing his laundry.
Following their mother’s death, the victim’s family filed a wrongful death suit against the corporate predecessors alleging that they knew about the risks of asbestos exposure and failed to warn employees or the families about the safety hazards.
An Illinois jury agreed with them, awarding $2.6 million in damages.
Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that develops in the lining of the lungs and chest, and it is most commonly caused by asbestos exposure and inhaling asbestos fibers. Direct and indirect exposure can cause the cancer cells to form, so workers who come in contact with asbestos can expose others if they bring home fibers on their clothes or skin, or in their hair.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries as a result of harmful working conditions or exposure to toxins, you may be entitled to a claim as it is the responsibility of all employers to provide a safe working environment. Contact one of our experienced personal injury attorneys at Page Cagle today . Contact Zane T. Cagle for a free consultation at 1(314) 276-1681.