Posted on March 18th, 2009 by Zane Cagle
The parents of a 12-year-old girl filed a lawsuit last week against a large dog collar manufacture and the parent company of the retail store in charge of distribution after a retractable leash malfunctioned and caused significant damage to their daughter’s eye last April. The family alleges that the companies failed to warn pet owners of the risk, thus allowing a dangerous product to make it on the shelves.
At the time of the accident, the young girl was walking her puppy when the leash suddenly popped and hit her directly in the eye. When her mother looked at it, she saw a piece of metal lodged in the child’s pupil.
The victim had emergency surgery to remove the metal and has undergone two corrective surgeries since then. Immediately following her injury, she was forced to spend the rest of the school year on bed rest, often complaining of headaches and trouble balancing. Despite the multiple surgeries, her vision in the one eye is still very poor.
After the defective product accident, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the manufacturer recalled nearly 223,000 SlyDog leashes, acknowledging that the product posed serious risk for injury. The company received five reports of injuries, all concerning the upper body and face.
When someone is injured by a dangerous or defective product, the manufacturer can be held liable for damages. Injuries can often be serious and/or disfiguring. Product liability cases in Illinois and Missouri involve products with defective designs or improper warnings. If you have been injured by a defective product, do not hesitate to contact us at Page Cagle in St. Louis, as we have the experience and know-how to successfully litigate your claim. To determine if you have a personal injury claim, call Zane T. Cagle at 1(314) 276-1681 for your free consultation.